top of page

Become a Fire Sprinkler Apprentice with Our Calgary Company

Apprenticeship begins with finding an employer. Constant Fire Protection Systems Ltd hires apprentices and provides on-the-job training and work experience. Approximately 80% of an apprentice’s time is spent on the job, under the supervision of a certified journeyman or qualified tradesperson. The other 20% involves technical training provided at Red Deer College in Alberta.

To become a certified journeyman, apprentices must also learn required theory and skills. Requirements for certification — including the content and delivery of technical training — are developed and updated by the Alberta Apprenticeship and Industry Training Board on the recommendation of Sprinkler Systems Installer Provincial Apprenticeship Committee (Constant Fire Protection Systems Ltd is a member of PAC).

The term of apprenticeship for a sprinkler systems installer is four years (four 12-month periods), including a minimum of 1,600 hours of on-the-job training and seven weeks of technical training in each of the first three years, as well as a minimum of 1,800 hours of on-the-job training in the fourth year. For further information on Sprinkler Systems Installer Apprenticeship Training in Alberta, refer to the following links:

The graduate of the Sprinkler Systems Installer apprenticeship program is a certified journeyman who will be able to:

  • Be proficient in all phases of sprinkler systems installation and maintenance through competent application of skill and knowledge; 

  • Know the characteristics and installation requirements of fire protection equipment, read and interpret plans and specifications;

  • Calculate material quantities;

  • Be proficient in the safe use and maintenance of hand tools, machines and equipment required to become a competent journeyman; 

  • Be thoroughly familiar with the safety requirements of sprinkler installations;

  • Relate to job situations regarding other trades that precede or follow;

  • Recognize that supervisory and management opportunities in the sprinkler industry are often available to trained and certified journeymen who demonstrate above average capabilities and motivation;

  • Perform assigned tasks in accordance with quality and production standards required by industry.

*Material referenced from Alberta Government Apprenticeship and Industry Training

bottom of page